Lara Brown from Can You Escape? explains to us why and how the company is supporting FMA UK this March. ‘’We pick which charity to support based on suggestions from our staff, and Fibromyalgia Action UK was a popular choice. One of our Games Masters mentioned that a family member suffers from the condition and not enough research is being done to discover a cure, making it an obvious choice for one of our charities to support! Can You Escape? provides an escape room experience for teams of 2-16 people. Teams are locked in a room for 60 minutes and are faced with a series of clues, puzzles and challenges they must solve in order to beat the clock!
Stephen Williams and three of his family members will embark on this challenge to raise funds and awareness of fibromyalgia because Stephen’s wife, Amanda, suffers from this condition. Stephen said: ‘’To support FMA UK, myself and some of Amanda's cousins (Emma White, Ben White, Hannah Bown) are doing a long distance cycle from Exmouth to Chester, that's 220 to 250 miles depending on how bad our map readings skills are or how big the hills are (we might have to go around them). This may seem an odd route to pick, but it has significance. Every year Amanda and I would go to Exmouth to visit Amanda's family, indeed Amanda has been going there all her life. However she can no longer make the journey due to the pain she is in. When pondering what to do to raise money for FMA UK, it seemed appropriate to ride this route.
HealthUnlocked Online Community Volunteer Admin role description
This role can be based anywhere in the UK, from home, and undertaken when it is convenient to the volunteer. No fixed time commitment is needed, however we will ask you to login and respond to tasks regularly.
What will you be doing?
- Supporting the discussion forum alongside other Volunteer Admins
- Helping to ensure the community forum is a relevant, welcoming and a supportive environment
- Posting messages to welcome new members to the forum and helping the Admin team to ensure that posts are replied to.
- Directing community forum members to useful resources on the FMA UK Community Forum or FMA UK website.
- Explaining how to carry out basic tasks on the community forum (e.g. posting a message)
- Highlighting to the forum users and to other Admins posts, questions or comments that may have content that is against guidelines so relevant action can be taken.
- Taking part in the 'Admins Only’ discussion group when appropriate and ensuring that the confidentiality of this group is maintained
- Contributing to discussions around forum development, policy and rules.
- Maintaining clear professional boundaries.
What you will NOT be doing:
- Advising people using the forum on any health and other personal issues
- Advocating for any particular health related idea, product or service.
- Giving emotional support – maintaining professional boundaries at all times is a paramount
- You can sign up online wherever convenient for you. It will take just a few minutes without having to print or manually fill out and send us paper forms.
- You will be allocated a ‘Reference Number’ which can be used when contacting us.
- It will ensure that Head Office have the correct information i.e. email address/contact number.
- Our aim is that all fundraising registration forms will be completed online.
Please note that there will be no benefits helpine on Friday 24th February 2017 )
''My name is Ebony Lizanec and I am 20 years old. On the 03/04/2017 I will be starting my hike completely alone on the west highland way. This will include 5 days of solid hiking (96 miles in total) and 4 nights of wild camping.
Please can everyone be generous and sponsor me on my journey, I will be making updates of my whole journey with photos and videos.
I have decided that if I manage to raise over £1000 I will be climbing Ben Nevis at the end if my trip.
Please share this on so we can all help those who suffer, have more knowledge and help with medical research.
Thank you so much, Ebony’’.
To donate visit Ebony’s JustGiving page: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Ebony-Lizanec